How to Help Avoid Some Common Causes of Burst Pipes
Burst pipes can wreak havoc on a home. Common areas can get flooded, and property can get damaged. But what’s a homeowner to do? Are these issues inevitable?
Not quite. There are many things homeowners can do to help prevent the common causes of burst pipes from costing them time, money, and frustration. Here in this mini-guide, homeowners can learn how to protect their homes from severe water damage and other inconveniences of a burst pipe by preventing their causes.
Tips to Avoid Clogged Pipes
Homeowners should watch for the warning signs of clogs to get them cleared as soon as possible so they don’t lead to a burst pipe. This includes changes in water pressure, slow draining, and foul odors emitting from the drain. Aside from being vigilant, homeowners can also help prevent clogs by:
- Schedule regular maintenance visits: Homeowners should consult plumbers around once a year to have their plumbing systems inspected. A plumber can check for clogs and risk factors for clogs.
- Get mesh drain screens: These items cost less than ten dollars and go a long way in preventing clogs. They prevent food residue, hair, and other things from entering the drain and causing clogs.
- Routine drain cleaning: Plumbers may use methods like hydro jet drain cleaning to blast through hard-to-reach clogs and clean the inside of pipes to prevent clogs from forming.
- Be careful what goes down the drain: People should only flush toilet paper down the home’s toilets and prevent cooking grease, oil, and most food waste from going down the drain, even ones with garbage disposals.
Ways to Prevent Frozen Pipes
The best way to prevent frozen pipes, another common cause of burst pipes, is to winterize the home before the seasons change. This means insulating any exposed pipes or checking the condition of existing pipe insulation to ensure it doesn’t need to be replaced. There are many types of insulation for lines, like rubber, foam, or another material that retains heat.
Some other ways to help prevent pipes from freezing include:
- Leave interior doors and cabinets open to allow warm air to circulate.
- Disconnect the garden hose, close any shut-off valves serving the outside tap, and open the outside tap to drain the line.
- Find and seal any cracks or air leaks in the home that let cold air in.
- Keep the home warm enough to prevent freezing with a consistent temperature.
Methods for Stopping Decay and Corrosion
Decay, rust, and corrosion can threaten a pipe’s structural integrity and cause them to burst. Corrosion essentially eats away at a line, making it more likely to burst or start leaking. Thankfully, there are ways to help prevent this from happening. Some considerations include:
- Install corrosion-resistant pipes: Certain pipe materials don’t rust or corrode. A plumber may suggest replacing or lining pipes with these materials.
- Apply protective coatings: Plumbers could spray a protective coating or line pipes to avoid rust and decay.
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners: Many store-bought drain cleaners contain chemicals that can hurt plumbing systems and lead to corrosion and rust.
About RCL Mechanical
RCL Mechanical is a locally owned and operated company serving Taunton and the surrounding areas. They offer flat-rate pricing, a beneficial membership plan, and the latest technology. Call them today for plumbing services in Taunton, MA.